Lovely CakeThis is an idiot-proof fruit cake.
- 1lb or 500g mixed dried fruit
- 6oz or 170g margarine or butter (3/4 of the block!)
- 1 small mug* liquid (eg water, tea- no milk!, fruit juice)
- 1/2 small mug sugar
- 2 small mugs flour (either self-raising, or plain flour plus 3 teaspoons baking powder)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons optional spice such as mixed spice or cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
*the mug should hold about 1/3 pint
Put all ingredients except the flour and eggs into a saucepan and heat until all the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for half and hour.
Meanwhile grease a loaf tin or 7-inch deep cake tin and sprinkle the inside with flour (this will stop the cake from sticking).
Add the eggs and flour to the cooled mixture in the pan and stir well. Put the mix into the tin.
Bake in the centre of a cool oven (140 degrees celsius, about gas mark 1 or 2) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Leave in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!